Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jay Lee Remembers.....

What were YOU driving to school our Senior year? Remember when the cruisin' circuit went from Alco to Dudes and it was 4 lanes not 3 - newer folks in town don't believe it was 4 lanes in the same space with parking too!

We made it thru driver's ed with Mr Kraus hiding the seatbelts on the girls so he could "help" them find them and his reminders that most accidents on country roads happened at the tops of hills - just as you were nearing the top of a hill. And Mr. Bruce threatening to make us change a tire if we wore sandals.

Most of us didn't get new cars for our 16th birthdays but usually got something that got us around (and eventually got us to Peetz and back). That was all that mattered.

I drove a blue '68 Ford Galaxie 500 Fastback with a 390 engine. I actually got it up over 120mph once. The back window deck was big enough for my youngest brother and sister to sleep on, on longer trips. And with all that it would get better than 25mph on the interstate.

I know I used to drive Kevin H. and Wes S. batty because I had a hard time recognizing who's car was who's and thus who to honk at or not honk at but let's see, this is what I remember:

Duane Ellis - white AMC Javelin.
Kevin Hammond - green '73 Chevy Impala
Lew Huddleston - green '72(?) Chevy Nova
Dolores Sparks - purple 60 something Barracuda
Ron Studnicka - green Chevy or GMC pickup
Steve Cope - Little Red Truck
Wes Smith - Chevy Vega Station Wagon
Scot Heintz - late-model Mercury Cougar
Dave Kocourek - 50s Red Chevy Pickup
Christi Deaver - blue Chevy Citation (?) (little boxy thing)
Todd Johnson - I don't remember exactly what he drove, but I do remember he probably put the most miles on his vehicle because he lived so far out of town.
And somebody had a '67 Chevy Camero. I swear

Anybody still have their senior ride?

Jay Lee Noble


Thanks for the memories, Jay Lee! Remember the "Y"? I drove an Oldsmobile Cutlass, later a Cougar. I remember Valerie Havorka drove an Impala. We use to see who's car was the fastest down main street. Valerie got a little blue car - maybe a Maverick, later. Marsie Fritz drove a little black car. Sue Sweeney - the unforgettable Volkswagen bug. I think Carolyn Meier had a Vega. ~ Lori

2 comments:

  1. I, Kathleen Craig, drove a 1970 Green Ford Maverick, three on the tree.. it's still buzzing around Sidney.. I see it now and then when I come up. When I took it to college I had to stop in Bridgeport and put a quart of oil in it, it drank oil like a fish, but in later years it stopped that nonsense, it was a great little car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before the bug remember Sue Boo's El Camino and she also had a little yellow Maverick before that I think? Wasn't that the one we wrecked? {Yikes that was a bad one - Sue and I are both lucky to still be here.}

    I drove the Beanermobile - a Greeen Plymouth Fury with crush velvet orange seats. Sexy!!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete