Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fond Memories For Rich Patten: Remember The Drive In?

It was a another evening at the drive-in, summer of 77. I, more than likely, was laying in the trunk of Niner's or Johnny O's car sneaking in. Usually they would stick me in the trunk, acting like we were going to the drive-in and then proceed to drive around for 30 minutes while I freaked out in the trunk. I wonder why I am slightly claustrophobic, among other things.

As was the norm, couldn't tell you what movie was playing. As eveyone gathered in the back rows, milling around and having fun, I was enamored by someone, none other than Lori Bahr.

We were laughing and enjoying the night.

Sue Sweeney was at the movie that night as well, in her VW Bug. What is more fun in the late 70's than seeing how many people can fit in a VW bug.

As everyone started piling into the bug, I held Lori's hand. I was new at this so it was it was a new sensation.

Finally everyone that could squeeze into the Bug did, I'm sure we set the Sidney record.

As bodies unpiled, I held tight to Lori's hand. I remember Tom Lein and Robin Custer getting off the pile and at that moment, in the light of the moon I could see down my arm to the hand I held.

As another person climbed out of the bug, I followed the hand to an elbow, and then to a shoulder and then to the sweet face of................Dennis Wamsley!

I was holding hands the entire time with Worm. I quickly released the hand and jumped out of the VW not saying one word to anyone. Worm never saw whose hand he held that night, I wonder whose hand he thought he was holding?

See you in a week.

Rich


Thanks for the memories Rich....I was having a hard time remembering that special night until you set the record straight. I am still laughing! ~Lori

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes....the drive in, which seemed to always involve Strawberry Hill and cherry vodka and some gawd awful hangovers. I remember coming home from the drive in one night with Mindy and Sue when were staying at my house. Unfortunately we had to walk through the family room in the basement to get to my bedroom. We were so drunk we could hardly walk but trying to be innocent and cool. Sue had to walk right by my dad who had his feet up on a footstool and trying to be friendly she pinched his toe not knowing he had an ingrown toenail. Oh dear. I don't think they had a clue. And besides the drive in, there was skipping Capt'n Carl's first period typing class to go do Dunken Donuts with Worm and Sue Boo. Who knew we would later NEED those typing skills for something like this!
    And walking to the elementary school for teacher's aide period with John O'Holleran and I can't remember if it was Richie or Denny but in the winter and I always seemed to end up headfirst in a snow drift on the way back. It really did a number on my Dorothy Hamill haircut that had taken an hour to straighten.
    Oh I SO wish I was going to be there.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete