Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Here is what Chris Wiedeburg has been doing!

Hello classmates of 1979! I’ll try to be brief with regards to ‘what’s been happening’ for the past 30 years, but as you know, it’s a really long time!

Immediately after high school I attended, Nebraska Western College in Scottsbluff. Anxious to get into the working world (silly me) I completed a 2 year AAS degree in secretarial sciences in 18 months, and then started with the Educational Service District #14 in a secretarial role. This transformed into a data processing role, and was really a great job. However, in 1983, I traveled to Spokane, Washington to attend my cousin’s wedding, and simply fell in love with the area. With an invitation from my aunt & uncle to stay with them while getting on my feet, I returned to Sidney, quit my job, and moved to Spokane, which is where I still reside.

I started working for Hewlett-Packard in January of 1984. HP ‘split’ into 2 companies (HP and Agilent Technologies) in 2000, and our site became part of Agilent, which is where I still work. I held a variety of IT roles for 23 years, until restructuring and off shoring put me in a position of having an ‘exit date’ to leave the company. Fortunately, before my date came, I was able to acquire the position of Executive Assistant to the General Manager of our local division. I have certainly been very fortunate to be with such a great company for so many years. Taking advantage of HP/Agilent’s educational assistance, I tool several college courses over the years. However, it wasn’t until 2005 that I finally got serious, and entered an adult accelerated program and earned my Bachelor’s Degree from Gonzaga University in Organizational Leadership in 2007.

As for my family life… in 1985 I joined a dating service (yes, there were dating services back in the dark ages) but they relied on photo albums, not the internet to show photos of potential dates! It was there I met my wonderful husband Steve and we married a year later. Steve now runs our window covering business here in Spokane. We built a new home a couple of years ago and continue to enjoy it every day.

We have 2 wonderful daughters. Hannah is 20, and commutes to Eastern Washington University just outside of Spokane. Hailey is 18 and just graduated from high school, and will attend Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma in the fall. Both took advantage of WA State’s running start program and earned their AA degrees by the time they graduated from high school. Each and every phase of raising them has been a joy and we consider each of them an absolute blessing. While enjoying dinner out on our anniversary recently, Steve and I agreed that raising the girls has definitely been one of the best things we’ve done in our marriage!

When not working we enjoy walks with our newly adopted dog, Fergie, time with family and friends, and an occasional ride on Steve’s Harley.

I will not be able to make it back to the reunion, as we will be taking Hailey to college. I hope those of you who can attend have a great time catching up with each other, and reminiscing about old times.

Take care,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment